Have you been wondering what to make now that you may be incorporating some more cooked foods into your diet? With the cooler weather rolling, in I personally have been wanting something warming at dinner so I created these delicious Mushroom Polenta Patties! It is important to shift our diet with the seasons and listen to what your body really needs. This recipe is perfect for anyone that is short on time; it only requires a few ingredients and is an easy meal to throw together for yourself or the whole family!
This is a recipe anyone will enjoy but especially the men and children in your life will! I like making these polenta patties as they give a hearty and satisfying taste. You can feel amazing serving them since they are not processed and do not have any chemicals since you are creating them fresh! They are full of protein and minerals from the mushrooms and veggies, and are gluten-free.
If you have not cooked with polenta before this is a great introductory recipe to this creamy textured meal. You can pair your cakes with a nice big salad for dinner or a side salad for lunch.
You can also make these in batches like Alkaline Grain Veggie Burgers and freeze them, so you can have them prepared for the rest of the week. This is a great thing to do if you have a hectic work week ahead of you. You can prepare some of your meals on Sunday and freeze and package them accordingly!
Here is my step-by-step guide to creating this recipe:
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup organic polenta (in a dry, powdered form)
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped cremini and/or oyster mushrooms (or a combo!)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat the coconut milk in a pot to just under a boil, then lower to a simmer. Stir in the polenta, and cook until it begins to thicken, about 10-15 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the scallions for a few moments, then add the zucchini, and cook for a few more moments. Add in the mushrooms, and sauté until softened. Next, stir all the veggies into the polenta mixture, along with the nutritional yeast, and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a baking sheet or glass dish with coconut oil and spoon the polenta-veggie mixture into patty shapes on to the dish, using a spoon carefully so as not to burn your fingers. Let sit in the fridge (or freezer if you are in a rush!) for at least an hour (ideally) to harden. When ready to serve, heat some coconut oil in a pan, and cook the patties for a few minutes on each side, until they brown nicely. Serve hot and fresh, alongside a fresh salad. Enjoy!
Happy cooking :)
Lots of love,