I decided to use broccoli for the base of this dish for many reasons. I have mentioned in the past the wonderful anti-inflammatory benefits of broccoli and wanted to share a few more reason why I love this vegetable. A key part of this dish is steaming the broccoli as it enhances the cholesterol – lowering benefits! Steaming the broccoli can also make it easier on your digestive system – as some tend to get bloated from raw broccoli in particular. My Beauty Detox Lifestyle focuses on the power of optimizing your digestion. Broccoli can help play a key role in that by improving our bodies detoxification system. Researchers have recently identified one of the key reasons for this detox benefit. Glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiian, and glucobrassicin are 3 glucosinolate phytonutrients found in a special combination in broccoli. This dynamic trio is able to support all steps in body’s detox process, including activation, neutralization, and elimination of unwanted contaminants.
Now I will share a little photo journey to making this puree…
- 4 head of broccoli (around 2 pounds)
- 1½ cups of coconut milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup of walnuts, pine nuts or cashews
- 1 Tbs. of olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut the broccoli into florets.
- Steam until softened, around 6-9 minutes or so (depending on your steamer).
- Blend with the coconut milk until smooth.
- Add in the nutritional yeast, nuts of your choice, and olive oil and blend again.
- Heat gently over the stove at a low temperature, stirring in sea salt and pepper to your taste.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Can serve as a swirl beneath an entree, or in a little scoop or bowl on its own along with some other tasty treats!
Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe in the comments below, and be sure to use #beautydetoxrecipe. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts and feedback on making your own creations at home!