Let’s talk about snacking for a minute, Beauty. Snacks really have the power to make or break our weight loss, wellness, health and energy goals! If you hit that afternoon slump around 3 p.m. and you reach for a bag of greasy potato chips or sugary chocolate chip cookies, they may provide you with an initial rush of energy… Only to let you crash soon after, leaving you feeling even worse than before. (Not to mention these type of snacks contribute to an expanding waistline!) But my Carrot Maca Energy Balls can change all of that.
This brand new recipe gives you all you could ever want from a snack: slight sweetness to curb that afternoon sweet tooth, energizing ingredients to keep you running the rest of the day, satisfying fat and fiber to keep your tank full, and lots of crunchy, chewy texture to keep your mouth happy! I couldn’t think of a better snack to regularly keep on hand when life gets busy ;) Now let’s get into why these Carrot Maca Energy Balls are such an energetic delight.
Energetics of Food
I think it’s really nice sometimes to be prescriptive with your food and not just think about it in terms of losing weight or how many calories it has, but really thinking about the bioenergetics and the quality of the food itself. It’s important to consider how the characteristics and the energy it imparts to us and can give us a boost in our moods and energy levels. When we really start to look at foods in a holistic way, I think makes you look at yourself in a more holistic way.
This is why our brand, Solluna, was built around the Four Cornerstones of True Beauty: Food, Body, Emotional Well-Being and Spiritual Growth. When we understand our wellness and ourselves from this holistic perspective, we can shift from worrying about the minutia to flourishing into our fullest selves. The first cornerstone is, of course, Food, which is really the way we look at food as nourishment, wholeness and the bioenergetics of food – how foods can make you feel elevated or supported or soothed. In this case, my Carrot Maca Energy Balls will help to lift you up and energize you!
Natural Energy From Maca
If you haven’t heard of the magical little herb called maca, consider this: among many other benefits, it’s been known to help naturally boost energy, reduce stress, minimize menopause symptoms and boost brain function. That’s why I had to include it as the star ingredient in these Carrot Maca Energy Balls.
Did you know that maca is also an adaptogen? Adaptogens are herbs or plants that can actually improve the health of your adrenal system, which is responsible for managing your hormonal response to stress. As such, they can boost your body’s ability to avoid damage from physical, chemical and biological symptoms such as fatigue and anxiety.
Using maca as a natural source of energy traces back hundreds of years. It is believed that Incan and Spanish warriors consumed large amounts of Maca root prior to a battle, as it increased their energy and stamina while also aiding in muscle recovery. Recent research supports the notion that maca has the power, too! According to a report published in Alternative Therapies, studies suggest that maca can increase energy.
On top of that, it has a major advantage over other energizers on the market, because it contains no processed sugar, caffeine or other chemical additives. So it offers you sustained energy without putting any stress on your adrenal glands (we call that a win-win).
Carrots for Grounding
When I was creating these Carrot Maca Energy Balls, I kept our chakras in mind. To really help balance and protect our energy levels, we need to nourish our muladhara chakra, also know as our root chakra. From a Cornerstone One perspective of Food, we should focus on eating earthy foods, which feel safe and grounding. Things like root vegetables, carrots and beets and even nuts and other earthy plant based foods will feel grounding in your body. Because they are grown in the soil, root veggies contain the grounding and stabilizing energy of Earth.
Carrots also help to stabilize hormones, which can actually help stabilize our energy levels. Raw carrots actually contain an indigestible fiber that helps our bodies perform its natural detoxification and helps with hormonal health. How? When you eat a raw carrot, its fiber binds to excess estrogen hormone. This process helps to safely pull it out of your body.
In addition, carrot fiber prevents estrogen from being reabsorbed in the intestine. Why would this be a concern? Because estrogen can be reabsorbed when transit time is slow. Too much estrogen can lead to all kinds of hormonal disruptions, including PMS, mood disorders and acne. This includes estrogen produced by the body, our diet and exposure to xenoestrogens in the environment.
When our hormones are balanced, our bodies feel more balanced, which leads to less energy slumps and afternoon crashes.
Fuel Up with Almonds
Almonds are the filling, satisfying base of these Carrot Maca Energy Balls. Raw almonds are some of the best plant-based sources of protein, an incredible storehouse for nutrients, and provides natural healthy omega fats to support immune health.
Here are a few reasons why almonds will have you feeling amazing after you eat these energy balls:
- Taste good and provide a steady source of fuel that also won’t make your blood sugar spike
- Deactivate free radicals in the mitochondria (power generators within our cells) — ensuring that our energy keeps flowing
- An excellent energy booster
- Combination of healthy fats, macronutrients and micronutrients
- Contain energy nutrients, such as riboflavin, manganese and copper
- The vitamin B2 (riboflavin) in almonds plays an essential role in energy production, red blood cell creation, cellular function, growth and development
- Contain trace minerals such as, manganese and copper
Carrot Maca Energy Balls Recipe
Now it’s time to get rolling! These Carrot Maca Energy Balls are so easy, and such a delight to make. This recipe makes 12 servings, so I recommend storing them in the freezer for a snack you can have on hand for the whole week.
- 2 cups pitted dates, soaked
- 2 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbs maca powder
- 1 tsp. of water (for blending, optional)
- Begin making your energy balls by soaking your pitted dates in water for about 10 minutes.
- Next, grate your carrots and then set them aside in a bowl.
- Place your almonds, and ¾ cups of coconut into a food processor and blend together until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add in dates, 1 cup at a time, cinnamon, vanilla extract, ginger, and maca powder and blend until the mixture sticks together.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and stir it into the bowl of grated carrots, until it all sticks together.
- Using a tablespoon, roll equal portions of the mixture into balls. Roll the balls into the remaining coconut shred so they are finely dusted in white.
- Place the balls in the freezer until the firm up, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove them from the freezer and enjoy it! Store extras in the fridge until ready to enjoy.