I recently returned from a magical retreat to Costa Rica. I brought in the New Year there with a week of yoga, meditations, kirtan, swimming and explorations. Next week I’m going to post a whole photo journey for you, so you can come along with me for the magical journey!!
Since I am now back in LA and settling into my routine here, I thought it would be great to share with you my twist on how to create a winter salad. I love using dandelion greens to spice up the variety in my salads. We all love kale, spinach and arugula a less common but equally spectacular green are dandelion greens. These greens set the perfect stage for this winter creation. This dish was created with Ayurvedic principles in mind.
In the fall and winter, bitter foods such as dandelion greens are considered very healthful and balancing for your system. They help balance the “vata” or wind energy of late fall, and then as we move in the “kapha” season of winter can help absorb mucus and support immunity.
We are in the first week of the New Year, which for many people is a time of reflection and getting on track. This time can almost be viewed as an opportunity to give yourself a clean slate. You can do this at any time of the year, but this time of year with less external light and cooler temperatures is an ideal time to turn inward and focus on nourishing yourself. Try adding this salad into your routine sometime this week and let me know how you enjoyed it using #beautydetoxrecipe!
Follow along with these step-by-step instructions…
- 1 bunch of dandelion greens, chopped finely. Remove the thick stems and discard
- 1 beet, peeled and diced finely
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Persian cucumber
- ¼ cup Goji berries (or prunes, cut up, if constipated)
- 2 Tbs. pumpkin seeds
- Drizzle of olive oil
- ** Spring version- can add radishes, to make more astringent
- Add the dandelion and beets into a large bowl.
- Add in the lime juice.
- Cut a slice from each end of the cucumber and rub vigorously in a circle from each end, to help remove kapha/ama (which is expelled up through the plant’s capillaries). Cube and then add into the salad bowl.
- Toss the Goji berries and pumpkin seeds into the salad, and mix with a drizzle of olive oil.
P.S. Speaking of The New Year…Glow Bio is offering a FREE, New Year = New You booster pack with any cleanse purchase till 1/15 be sure to use promo code “resolution16” at check out! :)