Today’s Jicama, Avocado & Blueberry Lime-Herb Salad recipe is perfect for the hot summer days ahead. Are you looking for a fresh salad that’s a twist on a green salad or a fruit salad? Try the beauty fat from avocado mixed with this sweet-tasting and crunchy root vegetable – jicama!
Jicama is a watery, low in calorie (not that we are counting!! But in case any of you are weening off a calorie-counting addiction :) ), and packed with beauty vitamins and minerals, including an awesome amount of vitamin C. Because of its high vitamin C content, jicama is a great support to glowing skin as well as boosting immunity. It supports our eye and skin health and helps reduce everything from arthritis to a stuffy nose and watery eyes, due to it’s anti-inflammatory action.
Jicama is also rich in potassium and inulin. (Isn’t “inulin” a great word?? I’m not sure why, but I like it.) The later is a “pre-biotic” — meaning it’s a healthy sugar that feeds friendly flora and helps your body’s probiotic levels.
Check out jicama at your local market or health food store and lets get chopping! ;)
Check out the full recipe below…
- 3 cups peeled and cubed jicama
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 medium firm avocado, cut into 2-inch squares
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs. coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped finely
- 1 Tbs. fresh mint, chopped finely
- ¼ tsp. lime zest, freshly grated
- Mix the jicama and blueberries in a large bowl.
- Place the avocado in a smaller bowl and pour the lime juice on top and mix gently, to saturate the avocados completely. This will ensure the avocados don’t brown if stored for a bit.
- Add the avocados to the jicama and blueberries, leaving the extra lime juice at the bottom of that bowl.
- Whisk in the cayenne pepper, coconut nectar or maple syrup. Add to the bowl, along with the basil and lime zest and mix gently.
Sending you love,