With the Superbowl this weekend, who doesn’t think of getting their hands on some good ole finger food, any chance they can get?! I admit I’m not the biggest football fan in the world myself per se… but I love food I can pick up, especially with Lil Bubs in tow! So there you have it, finger food is great for football fans, moms and just about anyone. :)
And when we think of healthier finger food, yes, there is life beyond veggie sticks! You’re going to love my Vegan No-Fry Cauliflower Hot Wings recipe which is super yummy and healthy, to boot. Even your hard-core wing lover friends/family members will enjoy this with you.
Use This Cruciferous Veggie….
If you’re an avid Beauty Detox reader, you will have heard me talk about the many fantastic beauty nutrients (including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and many other phytochemicals), that are contained in cauliflower.
While creating this recipe, I couldn’t help but think of the typical diet at outdoor gatherings, where cooking is centered around the grill. You know- chicken wings, burgers, hot dogs. I wanted to create an alternative that will be so satisfying that you won’t be tempted to get back into those old foods you might have loved in the past, but now you know as Beauty Detoxers is simply not serving you from a health and beauty perspective. You don’t have to never ever have them again if you truly love them…but the more you can sub in healthier, cleaner and plant-based options like this recipe, the more beautiful you will feel and look!
This brings me to why this veggie is one of my favorites— because of it’s ability to detoxify our bodies in multiple ways. There are antioxidants that support detoxification and glucosinolates that help to activate detoxification enzymes. It’s the sheer opposite of the grilled animal proteins- that actually ADD to the toxic load in your body with chemical compounds such as heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Definitely not beautifying!
On to the recipe…
Cauliflower has a fantastically fun shape to it, similar to that of flowers, which makes it a great veggie for these incognito wings! So what are you waiting for? Let’s get prepping! ;)
Check out this tasty recipe below…
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons egg replacer
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- ¼ cup organic hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Vegan “Ranch” Dip
- ⅔ cup silken tofu
- ½ a medium yellow onion
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro – minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill – minced
- 2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into bite size pieces. Prepare the dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Add the water to dry ingredients and whisk the mixture till it is relatively lump free.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with wax paper. Dip each cauliflower bite into the mixture and place on cookie sheet.
- Cook for 30 minutes, flip then cook for ten more minute. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Toss the cauliflower bites in the hot sauce and coconut oil.
- Blend all sauce ingredients together in food processor until smooth.
- Serve cauliflower wings with carrots, celery and the vegan ranch.
In love and health,