Well this is an interesting burrito, you might think, upon looking at our happy photo here, what with the cabbage and all :). And yes, it is quite interesting!
It’s a delicious burrito version that ‘aint going to weigh you down or make you feel super full and bloated. Ugh! No thanks. Burritos are such a delicious way to wrap up your favorite ingredients all together. Yet, the way that we wrap it up is super important. Enter my new recipe, the Feel Free Beauty Burrito! It’s quite a spin from the traditional burrito since it’s loaded with digestive enhancing and beauty-boosting veggies. as well as my NEW SPECIAL Beauty Sauce!
Digestive Enhancing and Beauty Boosting Burrito
Soothing Beauty Food: Jicama
Jicama is a beautifying root vegetable, that is lightly sweet, watery, and low in calories (which we don’t obsess over, but I mention here to give you the idea that it is a super light food). Don’t get confused though, low in calories doesn’t mean low in goodness! Jicama is loaded with a special type of fiber called inulin. And inulin helps to regulate blood sugar levels, helping our bodies to run steady and smooth all day long.
Have you ever heard of the term “pre-biotic”? It may sound similar to something you know that I can’t live without… yes that’s right – probiotics. (For more information on probiotics check out my blog post.) Prebiotics are food for the friendly bacteria living in our gut. And it just so happens to be that jicama is considered a prebiotic. Meaning it’s a healthy sugar that feeds friendly flora and helps balance your body’s probiotic levels. In turn, this helps keep your digestive system running smooth and your beauty running radiantly!
Let’s not forget, jicama is also packed with beauty vitamins and some minerals, including an awesome amount of vitamin C. Because of its high vitamin C content, jicama is a great support to glowing skin as well as boosting immunity.
Go with the Flow Beauty Food: Broccoli
Broccoli nourishes the skin as well as the joints and connective tissues around the body. And when your connective tissues are nourished, you can move more fluidly and gracefully. Not only that, but broccoli also helps build bone strength, thanks to its abundance of calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
Something definitely worth noting, broccoli has the unique ability to help the body get in more of an alkaline state. When your body is more alkaline, you retain calcium more efficiently in your bones. Yes, that right! Your bones actually lose calcium when you consume acidic products (think dairy, soda and excessive meat)! Luckily for us women, broccoli’s high concentration of folate and iron helps keep our blood health and circulation flowing through our bodies. In turn, this helps prevent movement issues like osteoporosis and arthritis, assisting us to keep flowing fluidly and gracefully in our lives.
Broccoli is known as the premier example of a vegetable providing all three types of antioxidants—vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients—all contributing to antioxidant benefits. In fact, broccoli represents the 3rd best source of vitamin C,10th best source of vitamin E, and 16th best source of vitamin A. If this were the veggie Olympics, then broccoli would be an all star!! :) :)
My NEW Special Beauty Sauce
To me, a burrito feels complete when I can load it up with a special tasty salsa or sauce. And since my Feel Free Burrito really doesn’t consist of your typical burrito ingredients, I just had to pair it with a not so typical, but super special sauce. My NEW Beauty Sauce is one for the books. It’s super easy to make and tastes good on almost everything!
With a combination of nutty, cheesy and spicy flavors, don’t be surprised if you find yourself dipping into it time and time again. That’s why you see that the recipe I’m providing for you below Beauty makes a little bit extra :) You’re welcome!
And when your best friend comes over and she devours your last few bites, don’t forget to give all the scoop on why we call it “Beauty Sauce”.
To make it easy for you, I am giving you 3 simple tips you can remember, that make my Beauty Sauce so beautifying and balanced!
- Almonds are an extremely rich source of vitamin E, the skin-beautifying antioxidant that helps to create suppleness.
- Nutritional yeast contains the perfect combination of powerful fuels for healthy hair: amino acids and B vitamins.
- Tamari is a fermented soybean product, that tastes similar to soy sauce but has less sodium, more protein and it also gluten-free to boot
And that’s it for now! I hope you love your burrito Beauties! Be sure to tag me on Instagram in all your recipe creations @_KimberlySnyder.
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. tamari
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. coriander
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- ½ avocado, cubed
- 1 red leaf cabbage
- ¼ cup jicama, thinly sliced
- ¼ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ⅛ of lime, a small wedge
- Prepare your Beautify Sauce by blending almonds, water, tamari, apple cider vinegar in your Vitamix on low.
- Once blending begins, turn up the volume and add in seasonings. Blend until creamy adding more water to thin out consistency if desired.
- Next, prepare all your Burrito Blend by dicing your avocado, jicama, bell pepper, cucumber, cilantro and lime. And pull the biggest and best looking leaf off your cabbage.
- Create your burrito by spreading the Beautify Sauce over the cabbage leaf. Next, arrange your sliced veggies on the sauce and garnish with cilantro. Squeeze lime over your assembled burrito and enjoy! Don’t worry if yours doesn't stay together perfectly. It will stay taste delicious!