Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They feature a perfect balance of essential fatty acids: 30% of chia seed oil is Omega 3 oil and 40% is Omega 6 oil. Studies also show that eating chia seed slows down our bodies’ conversion of carbohydrate calories into simple sugars. This is great for preventing spikes in blood sugar, whether you are diabetic or not.
Chia seeds are also highly hydrophilic, capable of absorbing 10-15 times their weight in water, and of great help in keeping bodies hydrated. Chia seeds gel when wet and, when in our digestive systems, this gel prevents absorption of some of the food (and calories) that we eat. This makes the chia seed a great helper for those of us looking to lose weight!
Chia Seed Delight Recipe
- ¼ cup raw organic chia seeds
- 1 ¾ cup of Homemade Almond or Hazelnut Milk or if it’s not possible to make it, use a store-bought unsweetened brand
- 2 ½ tsp. raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs. coconut nectar
- Stevia or xylitol to sweeten further optional
- Place chia seeds in a bowl.
- Blend the almond milk, cacao powder, vanilla, coconut nectar and stevia or xylitol in the blender until mixed well and desired level of sweetness is reached. Pour over chia seeds and mix well.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes before mixing again and serving.