This is a perfectly balanced summer salad and the flavor profiles will ignite your senses and taste buds. It’s super satisfying, and best of all, for a crunchy craver like me, my Summer Fennel & Beet Salad gives you a lot to crunch down on! I love the challenge of using what I have in my kitchen to create these new and exciting recipes for you.
I made this recipe with Zach, the owner/engineer of the sound studio. Zach and I have recorded all the Beauty Detox audio books together, and we’ve bonded over good food without processed crap :), and he is quite the chef himself!
Below I took some photos to show you how simple creating this recipe can be, not all the steps are listed here so be sure to check out the full recipe at the end!
Summer Fennel & Beet Salad
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 Golden Beet
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Navel Orange
- 1 Bunch Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- Prepare the ingredients:
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel the beet and cut it in half lengthwise; very thinly slice the halves.
- Cut off and discard any fennel stems and fronds (the green, thread-like tops of the plant). Halve the fennel bulb lengthwise; remove and discard the core. Thinly slice the fennel bulb.
- Thinly slice the beet (I leave on the skin if it's organic, but it's up to you of course).
- Pick the parsley leaves off the stems; discard the stems.
- Cut off and discard peel and pith of the orange; medium dice the orange.
- Pickle the onion:
- In a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), combine the coconut sugar, vinegar, onion and ¼ cup of water; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling on medium-high. Once boiling, cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until the liquid is slightly reduced in volume.
- Transfer the onions and pickling liquid to a heatproof bowl and set aside. Carefully rinse and dry the pan.
- Reserving 1 tablespoon of the pickling liquid, drain the pickled onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the orange, fennel, beet and drained pickled onion.
- Add the reserved pickling liquid; drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- PS: This salad keeps great for the next meal, if you happen to have any leftovers.
Let me know how you do and don’t forget to add this recipe to your Dinner Recipes Pinterest board!
Lots of love,