With winter here you may be craving more cooked foods, especially veggies…and this dish is sure to please. 🙂 You can eat this as a snack or pair it with some quinoa and more veggies or a salad to create a complete light and healthy meal.
You may remember growing up with dishes like Cheesy Broccoli and now you crave them again… be in a much healthier, non-congestive and beautifying way! Many find this a struggle, since many traditional recipes are not Beauty Detox friendly. This dish will bring all the comforts back from your original recipe with less fat, no dairy and an added bonus of B vitamins and easy to digest protein.
This dish only has 3 simple ingredients: broccoli, coconut oil and nutritional yeast (sea salt is optional!).
If you are trying to make healthier choices, vegetables like broccoli should be at the very top of your grocery list. Broccoli belongs to the cruciferous vegetable family, which includes kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, bok choy, cabbage, collard greens, rutabaga and turnips.
Nutritional yeast can be your best friend when it comes to creating flavor and texture that is reminiscent of a cheesy flavor.
It is also a source of protein, providing essential amino acids and B-vitamins. Stored in a cool dry place or the refrigerator or freezer, it will last for months.
Coconut oil, which I talk about fairly often, is one of my favorite oils to use. You don’t need to use a ton- as a little goes a long way!
Here is a step-by-step guide to create this dish:
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Fill a medium pot with 1½ inches of water; insert a steamer basket and add the broccoli. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and steam until the vegetables are just tender, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoon of coconut oil to a small sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook for 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add broccoli and the nutritional yeast.
- Mix well and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Season with some sea salt if desired. When the broccoli is done, place them in a serving dish.
- (For a complete meal, serve with some quinoa).