Each week, cooler temperatures are rolling in over many areas as winter is settling in. On last week’s podcast, Tony and I talked about the importance of shifting what you eat with the seasons and one recommendation we shared was incorporating soups into your diet. In celebration of winter I thought I would share a new recipe inspired by my Ayurvedic training. Today’s recipe is my Kale, Carrot & Sesame Cold-Weather Soup. I include a few variations to this recipe in the instructions so you can make it a little heavier if you are really in a cold climate or a little lighter if you are experiencing a more mild winter like I am here in LA. 🙂
This soup combines a delightful variety of Beauty foods that will not only nourish you, but leave you feeling satisfied and warm. On a side note: Feeling a chill in your body is never ideal; I have written about how our feet affect our health and that it is important to wear socks or slippers so the heat does not escape from your body especially during these cold months. This recipe uses some favorites from our beloved whole foods like kale, carrots, limes and of course sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper for seasoning.
You may be curious why this recipe calls for sesame seeds?
Did you know? Sesame is one of the most widely used Ayurvedic medicines. You can get sesame seeds in many different forms such as a powder, paste, oil or the actual seeds themselves. I love sharing with you what I am learning and I think it is important that we explore the benefits. These tiny seeds are amazing storehouses of antioxidants as well as a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, phosphorus, iron, omega 6, calcium, vitamins B and E. Sesame seeds are actually very warming to the body and a great seed to add into your rotation in colder months of the year. Not only will you be warming your body, but by giving yourself all the nutritional benefits from the sesame seeds, they will help you feel and be more beautiful from the inside out!
Now I will share a little photo journey to making this recipe…
See the full recipe below:
Kale, Carrot & Sesame Seed Cold Weather Soup
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 1 bunch curly kale with the leaves removed from the thick stems and chopped
- Juice of one lime
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp. black pepper freshly crushed
- 1.5 tsp. Himalayan sea salt or to taste
- * If you are having a very cold winter- add some coconut milk
- ** For summer- leave out the sesame seeds which are too warming
- *** Can add mung bean noodles- to make more hearty but thin out with more water
- Cook the sliced carrots in the water, about 20 minutes or so. Wilt in the kale and add the lime juice, mixing well. Set to the side.
- Dry toast the sesame seeds for a few minutes (optional). Puree the cooked carrots, and add in the sesame seeds, and wilted kale. Add in the black pepper and salt, and adjust seasonings.
Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe in the comments below, and be sure to use #beautydetoxrecipe. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts and feedback on making your own creations at home!
Stay warm and cozy :).
My puree carrot soup definitely didn’t look like that! lol. I did add parsnip to it though, because I got it in my CSA and needed to use them up.
How did it taste with the parsnip?
This was so good! Will be making again.
Thanks so much for trying this soup Ashley! Lots of love! Xo