Today’s Jicama, Avocado & Blueberry Lime-Herb Salad recipe is perfect for the hot summer days ahead. Are you looking for a fresh salad that’s a twist on a green salad or a fruit salad? Try the beauty fat from avocado mixed with this sweet-tasting and crunchy root vegetable – jicama!
Jicama is a watery, low in calorie (not that we are counting!! But in case any of you are weening off a calorie-counting addiction :) ), and packed with beauty vitamins and minerals, including an awesome amount of vitamin C. Because of its high vitamin C content, jicama is a great support to glowing skin as well as boosting immunity. It supports our eye and skin health and helps reduce everything from arthritis to a stuffy nose and watery eyes, due to it’s anti-inflammatory action.
Jicama is also rich in potassium and inulin. (Isn’t “inulin” a great word?? I’m not sure why, but I like it.) The later is a “pre-biotic” — meaning it’s a healthy sugar that feeds friendly flora and helps your body’s probiotic levels.
Check out jicama at your local market or health food store and lets get chopping! ;)
Check out the full recipe below…
Jicama, Avocado & Blueberry Lime-Herb Salad
- 3 cups peeled and cubed jicama
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 medium firm avocado cut into 2-inch squares
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs. coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil chopped finely
- 1 Tbs. fresh mint chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp. lime zest freshly grated
- Mix the jicama and blueberries in a large bowl.
- Place the avocado in a smaller bowl and pour the lime juice on top and mix gently, to saturate the avocados completely. This will ensure the avocados don’t brown if stored for a bit.
- Add the avocados to the jicama and blueberries, leaving the extra lime juice at the bottom of that bowl.
- Whisk in the cayenne pepper, coconut nectar or maple syrup. Add to the bowl, along with the basil and lime zest and mix gently.
Hope you love this salad as much as I do!
Sending you love,