Sometimes guys are a little shy about asking for men’s beauty tips. I get that they fear it will make them feel a little less manly to have a bathroom full of “beauty” products, but who doesn’t want to look their best?
Tip #1: Get a Safer Shave
Tip #1: Get a Safer Shave
There’s something very charming and refined about a clean, close shave. But did you know there are ingredients in your typical drugstore shaving cream that have been linked to cancer and hormone disruptors, like TEA and DEA?
You don’t have to give up the razor as your hair removal method of choice, but do choose a safer option made with natural ingredients, or try making your own shaving cream!
Natural Shaving Cream Recipe
- 4 Tbsp unrefined, raw shea butter
- 4 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp sweet almond oil or olive oil
- 6-7 drops of the essential oils of your choice
- Melt the shea butter and coconut oil at a low temperature in a double-boiler. Then add sweet almond oil (or olive oil) and the essential oils. Stir everything together.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and let it set in the refrigerator.
- Once firm, use a mixer to whip it into a shaving cream consistency.
- Store in an airtight container.
If that sounds like too much of a pain, there are many natural shaving cream and aftershave products you can buy.
- Dr. Bronner’s Shaving Soap
- Pacific Shaving Company’s All Natural Shaving Cream
- Burt’s Bees Aftershave
Also, check out Little House Living’s natural aftershave lotion recipe, which only calls for two ingredients!
Tip # 2: Heal Dry, Rough Skin
Okay, so maybe you love your “rugged” good looks, but you’d still like to find a safe and effective way to moisturize your dry, rough skin. You don’t need an elaborate skin care regimen for that. Just warm up a little unrefined coconut oil or jojoba oil in your hands and apply that anywhere you have dry skin.
Give the absorption a boost by removing the top layer of dead, dry skin cells first. Sprinkle a little baking soda into your regular cleanser (add it to the washcloth or your hand each time instead of putting it directly into the bottle).
My Solluna skincare line has high quality, vegan ingredients that will naturally improve your skin. If you’d prefer to have a designated face cream, my Feel Good Moisturizer contains plant-based stem cell extract and antioxidant-rich hydrosols that reduce and prevent wrinkles while adding moisture and repairing damaged skin.
We have some more tips for getting great skin naturally here.
Tip #3: Minimize Wrinkles
Keeping your skin clean and moisturized will do a lot to minimize and prevent wrinkles. Try my Feel Good Cleanser! It gently cleanses without stripping your skin of its natural oils. It’s PH balanced, completely vegan and made in the USA.
Another key to youthful skin is your diet and staying hydrated.
What not to eat:
- Cut back on meat and dairy products, which can age your skin and cause acne. If you don’t think you’ll ever completely give up your “meat and potatoes” type of diet, you don’t have to.
- Skip coffee and caffeinated tea because they can dehydrate your skin, among other problems.
- Avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners. Use Stevia or raw honey instead.
- Ditch fried foods (this one’s a no-brainer, right?)
What to eat more of:
- Eat more cabbage! It contains vitamin C and vitamin A, which help to reduce fine lines. Try eating some raw sauerkraut before dinner a few times per week.
- Add pears to your Glowing Green Smoothie to get rid of nasolabial folds. Just be sure you use organic pears and eat the skin, since that’s where most of the anti-aging nutrients are.
- Eat more watery vegetables or fruits help with hydration, which in turn will make your skin look more youthful and radiant.
Tip #4: Whiten Your Teeth Naturally
One of the biggest beauty concerns, right after smooth, clear skin, is a gorgeous bright smile. It doesn’t matter if you’re male or female. Michelle Phan has a DIY recipe that uses strawberries to whiten teeth.
Here’s another reason to lay off the coffee and black tea. They stain. Avoiding them will help you maintain your bright smile.
Tip #5: Lose Weight with an Alkaline Diet
To lose weight, you need to give your body the best fuel and eat foods that will help push the toxins out. You could be walking around with pounds of “sludge” that latched on inside your body as a result of the Standard American Diet.
Avoiding the skin-wrecking foods I mentioned in the wrinkles section will help a lot because they’re clogging to the body. Once you start to focus on whole, cleansing foods, your body will begin letting go of the fat that’s there to protect you from the chemicals and toxic waste you’ve accumulated.
Eat more foods that steer your body into a more alkaline state, which will help you drop the pounds more rapidly. Be sure to get more of these in your diet:
- Leafy greens (including sea vegetables)
- Ripe fruits
- Non-starchy vegetables
- Alkaline-forming grains, like quinoa and millet
You may also want to consider having a gravity-centered colonic to remove some of that old, acidic waste (never use laxatives for this purpose).
Another great way to cleanse your body is with my Feel Good Detoxy formula. It’s a safe and effective way to remove toxic and acidic waste from your colon while improving digestion.
Tip #6: Dump the Baggage (Under Your Eyes, That Is)
Under eye problems can be a result of fluid retention or stress (in addition to the more obvious lack of sleep), so to flush out what you can, munch on celery. Celery works in two ways: it acts like a mild diuretic to encourage excess fluid to leave the body and it reduces stress hormones.
To attack problems from the outside, you can freeze spoons overnight and then apply them to your eye area every morning. Chilled raw potato slices placed under the eyes for around 20 minutes can help reduce dark circles because they contain catecholase, a skin-lightening enzyme.
If you’re especially worried about aging and dry skin around your eyes, you can try an all-natural eye cream like my Feel Good Eye Cream.
Tip #7: Healthy Looking Skin Without Bronzer
Get a natural tan by eating vegetables containing carotenoids. Foods like carrots, cantaloupe, oranges, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkins and dark, leafy greens can give a “tan” appearance. Try one of my easy and hearty pumpkin recipes!
It’s no illusion that these foods will make you look and feel healthy!
Choose Natural Products
There are a lot of men’s beauty tips that involve diet or at least things you’re likely to already have in the kitchen. When you do want to purchase a product for a specific purpose instead of raiding the fridge or pantry, always be sure to look for products made with natural ingredients.