Now that summer is in full swing I wanted to share this light and delicious recipe with you. These stacks are absolutely perfect as part of a light lunch or dinner in warm weather, along with a salad and/or a soup of sorts. Heirloom tomatoes are bursting with flavor (plus they’re just gorgeous looking, aren’t they?!), and the avocado adds a creaminess that’s perfectly balanced by the freshness of the basil. If you have the option, you’re going to want to eat this outside in the sunlight for the full effect of basking in nature’s glory!
Beauty Food Secrets Behind This Recipe
Tomatoes are high in minerals and water content, and they’re also strong cleansers for the body. Heirloom tomatoes have B vitamins, iron, potassium, fiber, quercetin, and lycopene. These flavorful little powerhouses may help fight cancer, prevent heart disease and boost the immune system.
Basil is a high mineral-containing beauty herb that offers vitamins K, C, A, manganese, potassium, and magnesium, and is helpful in pushing toxins out of the body. It’s full of antioxidants and even contains antibacterial properties.
A deliciously creamy source of healthy fat and a beloved beauty food, avocados contribute to supple skin because they moisturize from the inside out. You’ll also get some anti-aging benefits from the antioxidant, glutamine, found in avocados. They have vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as potassium, copper, iron, and amino acids.
The sweet and tart mix of balsamic vinegar pairs so well with the other flavors in this meal, it ties everything together perfectly. Try to get a little of everything in each bite. Balsamic vinegar doesn’t have the same benefits that apple cider vinegar does, so you shouldn’t consume it regularly. However, having a little of it on occasion is okay. :)
I like to pair this with a little steamed kale or a green salad. I hope you love this light, fresh meal.
See you back here soon!
- Salad Stack:
- 4 large organic heirloom tomatoes
- 3 small avocados
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic Drizzle:
- ⅔ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup white cooking wine
- 1 tsp honey
- Optional: pepper to taste
- Salad Stack : Cut the tomatoes into roughly ½-inch thick slices. Cut the avocados into quarters, then cut each quarter into three slices. Cut the basil leaves into thin slices.
- Place one tomato slice on your plate or bowl and take three slices of avocado to stack on top. Cut a fourth slice of avocado in half and place it in the middle of the other three slices. Sprinkle a few slices of basil leaves on top of the avocado.
- Repeat the process again.
- Place another tomato slice on top, then add more basil on top of that as garnish. Done!
- Balsamic Drizzle: Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan, using a whisk to mix periodically.
- As soon as the sauce starts to thicken, take it off the heat and set it aside. Allow the mixture to cool while you build the stacks with the tomatoes, avocado, and basil. Drizzle over the stacks.