My Feel Mighty: King Mushroom Green Bean Bowl comes to you with a current love for making recipes that I can enjoy eating out of a bowl! They’re simple in nature, and yet they can be so creative.
I typically start off making these recipes by cooking my favorite grain and pairing it with 2 or 3 different vegetables. From there I figure out how I want to flavor my bowl and… voila! A new recipe arrives! Such a great way to keep things new and fresh, food-wise, but still beauty and wellness-supportive, properly food combined and practical and easy to make :).
Mushrooms improve our health and quality of life.
Do you ever find yourself mesmerized by the all the different variations of mushrooms available to you in your local market? Have you found yourself brave enough to branch out and try a new kind? Luckily we don’t have to forage around the forest to figure out what variations of mushrooms are safe to eat, and which ones might, um, kill us, to be blunt. That would certainly be stressful!!
I’ve been all about mushrooms lately and understanding how each variation improves our health and quality of life. In fact, that’s why I included not one, but two different types of mushrooms in my Feel Mighty: King Mushroom Green Bean Bowl. I’ve used the more familiar cremini mushroom in other recipes like my Kale Parsley Tom Kha Soup, so you can read back to why these fungi will always have a place in my home. In like manner, let me share with you why this bowl is just so mighty!!! (I love this word! We so rarely get to use it! :) ).
The Mighty King Mushroom
The King mushroom reigns near the top of my list thanks to its abundance of health benefits and its delicious flavor. I love King mushrooms so much because the entire mushroom is edible! And they don’t cook down compared to other mushrooms. Oh no, they keep their presence, as we can imagine ancient king would have as well! They have a firm, meaty texture making it a perfect addition to my Feel Mighty Bowl.
King mushrooms are part of the oyster mushroom species. You may recognize them as the King Trumpet mushroom. Their full name is Pleurotus eryngii, but I don’t expect you to remember that (I know I won’t!). They are native to North Africa, Asia, and Europe. Luckily for us, they are becoming easier to find. Next time you are shopping, keep your eye out for a stumpy looking mushroom with a thick stem, and a flat, tan colored cap.
Studies are linking these mighty mushrooms with abilities to neutralize cancer. This is in part thanks to its high amounts of the antioxidant, ergothioneine. If you are looking for one thing to help balance high oxidative stress on your organs, then search no further. King mushrooms have your back! They are found to provide cellular protection against free radicals. Studies are continuing to expose the amazing superpowers of mushrooms! What a great thing for us to work in and consume…and benefit mightily (ha ha, sorry, I couldn’t help myself!).
Richly nutritious, King mushrooms load you up with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Like other ‘shrooms they are also an excellent source of Vitamin D! Compared to mushrooms outside of the oyster family, they contain double the amount of protein and more potassium. Their role as the “King” makes sense when we rate their power against other mushrooms.
The Vibrant Green Bean
My Feel Mighty: King Mushroom Green Bean Bowl is so beautiful thanks to the vibrant addition of green beans. These long and slender guys have a powerful presence. And for every right reason! They have various immune-boosting antioxidants – the beneficial compounds in your body. You can eat green beans and know that you are fighting off free radical damage.
Green beans are your ticket to loading up on vitamins and nutrients. Calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and folate are just a few that I can list off the top of my head. And even better to note, green beans are a hearty source of fiber! By eating green beans you can feel nice and full after just one bowl!
You will also be getting a nice serving of protein when you make my Feel Mighty Bowl, not only from the mushrooms and quinoa but also from the green beans and from the nutritional yeast!
So what are you waiting for Beauty? Let’s get started making my Feel Mighty: King Mushroom Green Bean Bowl right now :)
- AVOCADO KALE VEGAN PESTO
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 4 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped kale
- ½ cup fresh basil, nicely packed
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- MUSHROOM GREEN BEAN BOWL
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup king trumpet mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- I like to begin this dish by making my vegan pesto first. Use a food processor or a mortar and pestle to prepare your pesto. Then add the kale, basil, lemon juice and garlic, and process until greens are broken down a bit. Finally, add avocado and salt, and process until smooth. Taste the pesto, and adjust seasonings.
- Next get your quinoa cooking. Combine the quinoa, water, and salt in a medium pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce to a simmer and let simmer until water is gone about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Time for the green beans! Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread green beans on a baking pan. Lightly sprinkle coconut oil on green beans and. roast in the oven for about 20 minutes (until slightly shriveled).
- While your quinoa and green beans cook, heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms release their juices and begin to soften about 7 minutes
- Last but not least, assemble your beautiful bowl. Layer quinoa with your mushrooms and green beans as you desire. Dollop on your homemade pesto and sprinkle on the nutritional yeast for extra cheesy flavor.