My book, Recipes for Your Perfectly Imperfect Life, is filled with practical tips for living a happy and fulfilling life. It’s also loaded with amazing food recipes, like the one I am sharing with you today – my Tempeh Taco “Meat” Salad recipe.
Perfectly Imperfect focuses on teaching how a healthier mind and body can give you the strength to Feel Good and beautiful in your unique body, get on track for eating well, overcome self- doubt and feel confident. It includes practical tools, tips and illustrative personal anecdotes on overcoming body shame, letting go of patterns of emotional drama, restoring self-worth, getting past comparison, toxic social media habits and treating unhealthy relationships with food (this one hits home for a lot of us, I know, including me!).
I wrote this book shortly after my mom passed (within 3 days of my son turning one), as I worked to heal myself on many levels… I’ve been through eating disorders and am a recovering perfectionist myself. This book is truly written from my heart, with the mission of helping you connect with your true value, after all these years of finally finding it within myself.
It also includes over 100 delicious, healing new food recipes! Feeling Good naturally leads to looking good, in a deeper way that taps into our wholeness and a level of peace from simply being comfortable with our perfectly imperfect selves.
Now, onto my delicious Tempeh Taco “Meat” Salad recipe!
My Tempeh Taco “Meat” Salad is complete enough to serve as a whole meal. It is both meat and dairy-free, yet has all the creamy and dense protein textures of a traditional Mexican salad. The deliciousness is there, with the added bonus that it’s supportive to our bodies.
This recipe is loaded with plant-based protein, minerals, fiber and more. It also doesn’t have any of the congestive blocking qualities. Now that is a supersalad!
Note: There will be plenty of cashew sour cream left over after you are done using it on your Tempeh Taco “Meat Salad”. It’s easier to make this by blending a larger quantity. Save the extra cashew sour cream for a veggie dip or even a thicker salad dressing. It will keep, refrigerated, for up to a week.
Tempeh Taco "Meat" Salad (sneak peek recipe from my NEW book! 🙂 )
Cashew Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 8 ounces organic non-GMO tempeh
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 romaine hearts chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 ripe tomato quartered
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- Make the cashew sour cream: In a blender, combine the cashews, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and 1/3 cup of water. Blend on high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 1 minute; add a tablespoon or two of water if necessary. Refrigerate the dressing while making the rest of the Tempeh Taco Meat Salad.
- In a skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Use your hands to crumble the tempeh into small pieces and add it to the skillet. Cook until it begins to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chili powder, oregano, and spices to the pan, along with 1/3 cup of water. Stir the mixture to evenly coat the tempeh with the spices. Continue to cook until the water is completely absorbed and the tempeh is brown and gets crispy on the edges. Do this for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While the tempeh cooks, toss the romaine in a bowl with lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and tomato.
- To serve, divide the salad evenly among four bowls, and top each with one-fourth of the tempeh mixture, avocado slices, and cilantro.
I am sending you so much love. I am so proud of you!
Nom nom nom.
tried this yester day, and its sooooo god 🙂 !!
So happy you gave this recipe a try Dimoda and thrilled you loved it. Lots of love to you! 😉
Made this over the weekend and absolutely LOVED it!! I had never cooked my tempeh like this before and I think I’m quite addicted now 🙂 Thanks for sharing and I’m on the way to buy your new book!!
This looks amazing, healthy, tasty salad .
Thanks for sharing .
Keep Posting !!
Thanks for this post, I really appriciate. I have read posts,
all are in working condition. and I really like your writing style.
Thanks for a nice share you have given to us with such an large collection of information.
Great work you have done by sharing them to all. for more info
simply superb.smart class in bhopal
This is just amazing! I can recommend using peanuts instead of “1 cup raw unsalted cashews”, but if you use peanuts only use half a cup.
But thanks for this wonderful recipe!
Thanks for giving this a try and sharing your feedback. Happy you liked it! Lots of love to you! 😉
I came across this recipe today as I’m looking for something to do with the organic tempeh I just bought.
I’m just a little confused though – Isn’t it improper to combine tempeh (a protein source) with avocado (a beauty fat)?
Hi Beauty! That’s a great question. While you’re correct that protein and fats don’t combine well, I believe that it’s OK if they are paired moderately, such as in the case of this recipe which only includes 1/4 of an avocado per serving. Of course, if this combination doesn’t agree with you, feel free to skip the avocado! Food combining is all about feeling your best and optimizing digestion, so if this combo doesn’t make you feel your best, then I always encourage making modifications based on your needs. Sending you lots of love!
your recipe look like very nice and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for checking it out! Hope you enjoy 🙂