I visited the East coast over Christmas last week and it was surprisingly warm for this time of year. Even though the temperatures were not as cold as I expected, the city still felt damp and cooling to me. There was quite a bit of rain and the days were cloudy. I found myself still wanting tea and soup to warm me up!
This time of year especially, it is really important to incorporate warming foods into your diet. Just as you change your clothes every season, you need to shift parts of your diet every season as well. Now is the time to support your digestion and body with more cooked, easy to digest warm foods. Also, if you have a tough time digesting raw kale, this is a great way to get the kale in your diet.
I was inspired to create this recipe by what my body was craving and I was able to make this simple Warming Kale, Carrot and Sweet Potato Stew that is not only filling but beautifying!
This dish has a little sass to it, due to its interesting combo of herbs, spices and a squeeze of lime. I love the earthy feeling from the sweet potato which is a grounding root veggie, paired with the softened kale and carrots. One of the best things about this dish is that it is a one-pot dish! That’s right…no multiple dishes to clean up. Just throw everything in one pot and you are good to go. The ingredients all meld together beautifully and do their thing, like a harmonious little symphony in your pot! :)
Follow along with these step-by-step instructions…
- ¾ large bunch of Lacinato kale
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ⅓ inch dice (or 2 large ones)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 32oz low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. basil, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Juice of one lime
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Warm ¼ cup of vegetable stock in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, cayenne pepper and basil and cook till the shallots and garlic start to brown.
- Add the organic vegetable broth .
- Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and cook until they start to brown and soften.
- Add the paprika, cumin, and about 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat immediately to a simmer, and simmer till the sweet potato is nice and soft.
- Chop the kale into small pieces and add to the stew. Cook until everything is mixed and softened to your liking (at least 30-45 minutes). You might need to add a cup or two more water as you go along, to keep it a consistency that you like.
- Turn off the heat, and add lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Remember you can pair this with some quinoa or brown rice if you want to make even more hearty…as I often love to do.
If you try this recipe be sure to #beautydetoxrecipe and let me know in the comments below how you enjoyed it!
Happy one pot cooking & eating!