Today I’m shaking things up with a fun and fresh recipe for my delicious Zesty Collard Tacos! Unlike greasy fast food tacos, you can actually feel good about nourishing your body with this beauty food…without sacrificing flavor! Plus, if you’re like me, you’ll enjoy rolling up your sleeves and playing with your food as you assemble these bright and beautiful tacos 🙂
Collard Greens: Not Your Go-To Leafy Green
Kale, romaine and spinach are some of the more popular leafy greens that we choose to throw in our smoothies, salads and other healthy recipes. While those greens are incredibly powerful beauty foods, I believe it’s key to rotate your greens for optimum health! This recipe is the perfect chance to switch things up and give collards a try, if you haven’t already 🙂
Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants… Oh My!
The leaves of collard greens are packed with a variety of essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Bursting with this goodness, you can almost feel the plant’s strong, vibrant, living energy!
For instance, here are just a few highlights of the beauty benefits packed into these dark green leaves:
- Vitamin C aides in the production of collagen in our bodies, which is responsible for building strong joints, hair, skin and nails.
- Vitamin A is fantastic for your hair and skin. It’s a vitamin required for our bodies to produce sebum, which keeps hair moisturized and is necessary for the growth of body tissue.
- Chlorophyll and alkalizing magnesium help to minimize dark under eye circles.
- Lipoic acid, an antioxidant that regenerates vitamin C, reduces discoloration and brightens skin.
- Vitamin K is crucial for bone health and calcium absorption. (Side note: Just one serving of collards contains a whopping 8 times the amount of your daily Vitamin K requirement!!)
Not only are collard greens absolutely delicious and brimming with health benefits – they’re also affordable AND durable. That’s why they are the perfect substitute for holding together these zesty tacos in place of a wrap made of refined carbohydrates.
Taste the Plant Rainbow
What I love about this Zesty Collard Tacos recipe is that invites some of my very favorite superfoods to play together at the fiesta! Just look at how vibrant and colorful the tacos are, thanks to the bright yellow mango and red bell pepper. Zesty lime and zingy cilantro tie the flavors together for a tastebud party that is also sure to uplift your spirits!
While you’re enjoying the flavors of this recipe, your body will also thank you. Just take a look at the benefits each ingredient brings to the table:
- Juicy mango is an amazing source of beta carotene, which is a natural antioxidant used by the body to make vitamin A.
- Red bell pepper are packed with vitamin B6 and folate. In combination, these two are important in preventing anemia.
- Cilantro is a super detoxifying herb – it binds to toxic heavy metals in the body and helps your body to eliminate them.
- Jalapeño may help to boost your metabolism, thanks to a compound in the pepper called capsaicin.
- Lime is loaded with vitamin C and enzymes, and has powerful cleansing properties for liver support.
So next time you’re bringing a dish to a social gathering, give these Zesty Collard Tacos a try! If anything, they’re a great excuse to play with your food, so they’re sure to be a hit 😉
Zesty Collard Tacos Recipe
Zesty Collard Tacos
- 1 large ripe mangos diced (see photos)
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ⅛ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- ½ jalapeño seeded and minced
- 1 large lime juiced (about ¼ cup lime juice)
- sea salt to taste
- 2 collard greens washed with stems trimmed about 2 inches from bottom of leaf
- In a serving bowl, combine the prepared mango, bell pepper, cilantro and jalapeño.
- Drizzle with the juice of one lime and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt. For best flavor, let the mixture rest for 10 minutes or longer.
- Take a collard green with the dark edge facing down on your cutting board. Trim off the stem and up about two inches into the leaf. Place about 1/4-1/3 cup of the mango mixture in the middle of the leaf.
- To assemble, roll up burrito style. Fold one of the long ends in, and then both the end pieces, and then the other long way, tucking in firmly.
- Place with the folded edge down on your cutting board, and slice firmly into two pieces on the diagonal. Serve on your favorite plates and enjoy!!
Happy cooking, Beauties!
Lots of love,
This looks so delicious! Any recommendations what you’d pair this with? I live in a Canada and in the colder months I don’t think it’d be enough of a meal on its own. Would Soup or brown rice be a proper pairing ? Thanks Kimberley 🙂
Hi Senait – thanks so much for checking out this post! Yes, you can definitely pair it with soup. I always try to eat my greens/salads first so it has time to digest and then eat my soup but do what works best for you and your body. You can also pair it with brown rice too. Preferably sprouted, as it’s kinder on our digestion. Happy cooking and let me know what you think. Lots of love! 😉