Happy Valentine’s Day!!! Whether we love V Day or view it as a silly holiday that makes unattached people feel depressed, or whether we think it is a commercial “fake” holiday that just makes us spend more money on useless things, it is all about perspective isn’t it?? I like to think of it as a day when people are just a little bit more nice, more sweet, and another day to especially give love out into the world, though of course we could do that every day. 🙂
I’ve been really crazed lately, with all very good and exciting things that I would choose to be involved with even if I had 100 million dollars. So that’s good, but I’m crazed all the same. Last night I got back into my apt. from my flight from LA after 11:00 pm, then had to run out and get some food quickly since I hadn’t eaten all day, which took me to past midnight. I had to stay up to 3:00 in the morning since I had to plan my kids’ meditation class I teach once a month on Sunday mornings. I also had to unpack. Last week I was so busy in LA I didn’t get to work on any upcoming projects I was REALLY supposed to (I’ll give that an oops and a Yikes!) with looming deadlines, since I had to rush from event to event to meeting to press stuff to clients to movie sets to … I will say that it was one of the busiest and most successful trips I’ve ever had. It was worth it to have to um, postpone a few deadlines. 🙂
I feel incredibly grateful that much of what I do doesn’t really seem like work. It is about sharing and connecting and helping a wide range of people. So I am definitely not complaining at all. Still, sometimes I wish there were an extra 6 hours in a day, so I could do more, or sleep a wee bit more.
In the midst of major craziness, here are 5 things that keep me really grounded:
1. My roobius tea with Stevia: When I am on the phone for extended periods of time, I am drinking this. If you have ever been on the phone with me and heard me pause, you can be sure I am taking a sip of this brew! It is my favorite, and it makes me really happy. People always ask me about green tea this and green tea that, but I personally avoid it. Me and my liver certainly don’t need that caffeine. Caffeine in any form puts a drag on our liver, and therefore detoxification. Trust me, lay off all the green tea. Roobius is full of antioxidants and is free of caffeine. Way better!! It is from a red bush in Africa. I like the blueberry flavor the best. And I do like it slightly sweet!!
2. Scent. I’m a huge fan of aromatherapy. I haven’t worn commercial perfume (I mean Sephora-like fare) in at least 6 years because it is so toxic and goes right into the skin. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like yummy smelly things! I burn incense a lot when I’m working (I like the Nag Chaampa brand, which I’ve been told burns cleanly and is non-toxic), and I sage my apt. pretty often. I mist lavender around me sometimes, and if I really want something that smells good I occasionally use the Kiss My Face Lavender Body Lotion, or I’ll drop some lavender essential oil into my coconut oil concoction I put on my body.
Having the room I’m in or my general environment smell good really helps me stay present and happy, and not overwhelmed. If you have not indulged in the scented, non-toxic goods, they are so inexpensive and are a great way to make your day much better! If you are a candle person, be sure you are using soy candles as opposed to the regular petroleum-based candles, which will pollute your air. Glade, Febreeze candles, sprays, and their commercial counterparts are a heap of toxic rubbish!!!!!!!! We should never buy such things. If you work at a desk, I suggest keeping some essential oil in your desk drawer. Once in a while you can sniff it, or dab it on, or mist it around! Lavender if you are stressed and need some headache relief, or a nice grapefruit or citrus if you need to wake up.
3. Chlorella tablets: I’m talking tablets ladies, not powder! When I’m in a bind (which usually happens at least twice a week when I’m in NY ), when I can’t eat for a very long time, I chew about 15 of them. I never leave home without a pouch of
them in my purse. Beware: Your teeth will turn green!! You will look like some kind of swamp monster that emerged from a seaweed-filled puddle…but only for a few seconds. 🙂 Drink with lots of water. Chew them well though- so you break them up and can an instant hit of plant protein and minerals. They keep me going for a while, so I’m not in desperato-ville and have to reach for something that is less than ideal to eat which I try to avoid at all costs.
4. My morning ritual. I always have my Green drink first thing in the morning as the first thing in my belly. It is very rare that I skip. Even if the rest of my day goes haywire, I have done something good for myself, and I feel much better the rest of
the day on. I encourage you to do the same. You deserve the Green freakin’ Smoothie!! Your energy, spirit, skin, body and emotional well-being deserve it. MAKE…THE…EFFORT!!!!!!!!! The rest of your day will by easier and better for you.
5. My meditation practice. First, last and as much as I can in between. Let me be clear: I would not be the person I am without my meditation practice. If I have contributed anything positive in the world, it is because I meditate and have a more clear perspective of myself and love, and I work towards being a more clear channel. If you are interested in starting a meditation practice or yoga practice and don’t know where to turn, I highly recommend reading Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. It is the book that changed my life. I found it in a tiny bookstore in Rishikesh, India, and it practically jumped out at me. My life has never been the same since.
See you back here soon. Love to you!!!!!!!!! Kimberly
what brand of chlorella tablets do you like and how do they taste? I have thought of getting chlorella for a while now .
Have great night.
Hi Shirley, I have the Kyoto brand. I know it sounds weird, but the flavor notes of them change to me- and they start out almost tasting choclatey! Then planty= algae taste. xx Kimberly
Have great night. enjoy the snow.
lovely post! thanks for sharing! =)
We are so very similar! 🙂 I love Nag Chaampa incense and fortunately, so does my hubby! I only use essential oils for perfume and only soy or bees wax candles in my home. No caffeine for me either!! 🙂 Glad you had a great work filled trip, looking forward to hearing more soon! HUGS!
Great! Which essential oils do you like to wear? I have little canisters where I’ve missed a bunch of them together, during an aromatherapy workshop I took. 🙂
I have been drinking green tea for years. Usually only in the morning. But recently I switched to Yerba Mate and they have both a green tea and a chai. Are they as caffeinated as regular green tea?
Yerba Mate is definitely caffeinated- though I’m not sure if it the same as Green Tea. I like the taste but stopped drinking it too much for that reason! One cup a day is pretty moderate.
Hi Kim, I was wondering if you could explain the benefits of sageing one’s home and how to do it. Maybe you could dedicate a blog on this topic. I’m interested in doing it my apartment. Thanks.
Kim when I read your post I was thinking that you hold it together in very similar ways to me! I also have my morning ritual which includes meditation and green smoothie. I burn essential oils quite a lot. I use rosemary to clear my head, lavender for calming, and orange is a favourite for energising. I love my rooibos tea but wish there were more hours in the day so i could make it more! Loved reading this post 🙂
First, I’m so glad I found your blog, love it! Which green powder do you use? I used to order Dr. Shultzes but now I’m not sure which is best and cost effective. Also, I was put into surgically forced menopause at 35, now 40 I’ve seen so many changes in my body and am trying to counteract them. My hair seems to be thinning and breaking faster, I have dark circles under my eyes and sometimes dark spots on my face. What can I do? I read doing the downward dog will help my circles but what else can help all of this? HELPPPPP! 😉 Thanks!
Love your blog. I was wondering about the tablets. I have been swallowing them for months now. I’m not so found of their taste so just swallowing seems easier 🙂 I understand that chewing is a lot better way but do they do any good when just swallowed?
Of course, Nora, they’re good either way. But like K said, drink them with lots of water as they will dissolve. It’s not as “instant” as Kimberly’s method but they’ll do their job either way. I think eventually you’ll get used to their specific taste and will be just like her in chewing this stuff, it’s all a matter of time.
This blog can be easily treated as an inspiration for further developing work.
Just wondering why not chlorella powder, please.
There are some attention-grabbing time limits on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There may be some validity however I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as well
Thank you so much Kimberly for all of these wonderful tips and all of the great things you share with everyone. You could keep all your beauty-ness to yourself but you don’t and we are all so thankful for it. I wanted to ask you on a more personal note if you have ever heard the Gospel? John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Begotten Son that whosoever should believe in Him will not perish but have eternal life.” I became a Christian 6 years ago and He has opened my eyes to the reality of life and has delivered me and my family out of many things. He alone is mighty and He has created us and desires a relationship with each of His creation and it is only through Jesus Christ. My life has never been the same and I wanted to offer that same true hope to you. I know there are many beliefs in the world, but just consider what Jesus Christ did for you – religion calls for men to reach to God or themselves but Relationship called for this – God reached down to man in an attempt to bring them back to Himself, before sin entered the world.
With love, Kari