Sticking to New Year’s resolutions is hard! Sure, at the beginning we’re enthusiastic about reaching our goals. We dive in head first with a strict agenda and fancy tools that will help us stay the course. Then, we get exhausted and begin to see that the expectations we’ve set are not realistic. Some of us last a couple of weeks, while others only a couple of days, but we fail just the same.
The Solluna 4 Cornerstones philosophy is grounded in the mantra: Nourish your whole self and feel good! So let’s set ourselves up for success, Beauties, and let’s ditch New Year’s resolutions for good!
Rituals – The “New” New Year’s Resolutions
The beginning of a new cycle is a special time. It’s a time for renewal, a time for growth, and I a time to wipe the slate clean. The New Year symbolizes a fresh start. There is a deeper meaning to New Year’s resolutions, but we’ve lost touch with that over the years. We’ve become impartial to it. Which is why I propose we commit to something deeper; a ritual.
A “ritual” is defined as being a set of fixed actions performed regularly . People often associate rituals with religion, and just like temples, mosques and churches, our bodies and our minds are sacred. For this reason, we should be taking care in preserving and protecting them so that they withstand the test of time and the elements.
Creating conscious daily rituals allows us to shift our view of these efforts as spiritual experiences that come from a place of love, and not just as chores. This guide outlines healthy habits for a happy life. Whether our goal is to lose weight, relieve stress or combat aging, by committing to these rituals every day, we will establish a routine that will set the tone for the year ahead. But we don’t have to wait, let’s start now!
Weight Loss Rituals
The intention for each of these weight loss rituals is to cleanse, renew and empower. Weight loss is something that will be achieved as a result, but the foundation we’re setting is to strengthen our minds and our bodies. This is not a quick fix, Beauties! If the goal is weight loss, it’s important to remember how long it took to accumulate it in the first place. Which takes me to the first ritual…
Weight Loss Ritual #1 – Acknowledging Willpower
An unhealthy lifestyle is an easy thing to attain. With so many processed foods, sugary drinks and lethargic excuses, it’s no wonder we gain weight. Especially this time of year! So it’s important to acknowledge our daily choices. When we reach for that donut in the office break room, let’s think about how it will make us feel. Sure, it will taste good, but it’s going to make us feel gross. Instead, have a cup of unsweetened, caffeine-free herbal tea and let someone else have the donut. Better yet, make my Raw Chocolate Covered Almond Donut Holes to share!
There’s such beauty and sense of empowerment when we deny a temptation. Plus, the decisions we make help motivate those around us. Spark a revolution!
Weight Loss Ritual #2 – Hot Water With Lemon
This is a great way to begin the day! Lemons are packed with vitamins and antioxidants, and they’re natural cleansers too! These flavorful beauties will boost our immunity while detoxifying our digestive tract, and cleansing our liver. Hot water also aids in digestion, so this combination is a great way to prevent bloating. All of these symbolize renewal and balance.
Adding hot water with lemon as a daily ritual is a Beauty Detox must, and benefits weight loss in many ways. First, we’re hydrating our body. Secondly, it helps eliminate toxic waste and turns up our metabolism. Thirdly, we’re replenishing essential vitamins and minerals allowing our body to function at optimal levels.
Also try these delicious lemon recipes as a beautifying reward for overcoming our daily temptations!
- 3 Minute De-bloating Turmeric Lemonade Elixir Recipe
- Lemon & ACV Tonic Smoothie Recipe
- Electric Lemonade Recipe
Weight Loss Ritual #3 – Intermittent Fasting
There are many benefits of intermittent fasting. Studies have shown that it can improve memory & brain function , reduce symptoms of asthma , and assists with weight loss . This is how it works… There’s an 8-10 hour window of eating throughout the day. So if we stop eating at 6 pm, we can’t eat again until 10 am. What this does is allows our body to use its fat stores as energy.
Another benefit of intermittent fasting is something called reduced digestive energy expenditure. Our digestion requires a ton of energy, and intermittent fasting allows that energy to be applied toward other functions of the body, such as our hormones, our endocrine system and our skin.
This ritual is not for everyone, especially those who have battled with eating disorders, and those who have medical concerns should speak with their doctors first. Also, consider starting small. Begin with once a week, and see how you feel.
Stress Relief Rituals
Stress distracts us from reaching our ultimate goal, happiness. Too much stress can impact our hormones, interrupt our focus, and can damage our relationship with others. In addition, stress can actually make us sick by harming our immune system. Relieving stress also goes hand in hand with weight loss. Here are some effective rituals to help relieve stress!
Stress Relief Ritual #1 – Breathing Exercises
We can effectively relieve stress with our breath. Sounds too easy, right? But it’s so true. Proper breathing ensures we get more oxygen to our brain and to our heart. Our breath tends to be shallow throughout the day. Meaning we don’t expand and fill the entire capacity of our lungs with fresh oxygen. Consequently, this means we also don’t expel all of the used air, which turns to carbon monoxide.
- Ujjayi Breath – This breathing exercise, also known as the “ocean breath” is used in yoga to help increase oxygenation, build self-awareness and become grounded . You don’t need a yoga mat to do this. Start by breathing deeply through the nose filling your belly, then expanding into your upper abdomen for four counts, then breathing out for four counts. The passage of the air through your throat crease an ocean sound.
- Meditation – Meditation has been practiced for centuries as way to reduce stress and for mental clarity. Close your eyes, and rather than focusing on your thoughts, focus on your breath. Along with stress reduction, meditation can also improve focus.
This morning ritual will help reduce stress and better prepare our mind for the day. Also, try my FREE 7 Day Meditation Course!
Stress Relief Ritual #2 – Practice Gratitude
Studies have shown that practicing gratitude lowers levels of aggression  and can help overcome depression . Expressing gratitude can be as easy as telling our significant other or child how much we appreciate their help with the dishes, or by saying, “Thank you,” to someone who holds the door open for us.
Let’s take this even further by combining gratitude with another ritual. With each cycle of our breath, we can think of something we are thankful for. Who says we’re not good at multi-tasking?!
Stress Relief Ritual #3 – Recite An Affirmation
Affirmations are powerful tools that channel energy to our beliefs and our goals. They’re statements that inspire change and positivity. By repeating them we begin to program our minds into believing and manifesting them.
Here are a few of my favorite affirmations:
- “I am right where I need to be, and all that is meant to unfold will do so in its own time.”
- “There are no limits to my creativity and my ability to give and receive love and abundance.”
- “I am never really alone, because I am One with the whole.”
Write an affirmation on a sticky note, keep it by the bathroom mirror, and say it out loud every morning while we get ready for the day.
Anti Aging Rituals
Restoring and preserving our youth is important to all of us, regardless of age. Performing these rituals will beautify our skin, enhance our resilience and allow us to shine from the inside out.
Anti Aging Ritual #1 – Drink Your Nutrients
The Beauty Detox program is centered around improving our health and our beauty by obtaining our nutrients from whole foods. The fastest way to replenish our energy and restore our youthful glow is by drinking our nutrients!
Here are my favorite anti aging smoothies and elixirs:
- Winter Glowing Green Smoothie – This winter time version of the original GGS is perfect for cold weather. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and high quality amino acids. All of which benefit our digestion, and our beauty from the inside out.
- Feel Clean Dandelion Detox Smoothie – Greens are among the most nutrient dense of all foods and are full of alkaline minerals, chlorophyll, and amino acids. Combining dandelion greens and ginger improves digestion. And when our digestion is running optimally, the absorption of nutrients and the removal of wastes from the body improves as well!
- Holiday Apple Pear Smoothie – Apples have been linked to lowering cholesterol levels, aiding weight loss, and providing antioxidants to the brain. Pears are packed with vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, and K. They also have fiber-rich nutrients, helping to minimize damage to the collagen that keeps our skin looking its best!
- Nighttime Dream Elixir – Sleep is a vital component of beauty and anti again, and this elixir has all of the ingredients needed to induce a restful night’s sleep. I am a huge proponent of sleep, which is why I created an incredible program. Learn more about my SleepWell System!
Anti Aging Ritual #2 – Use Natural Products
Another principal of Beauty Detox is reducing the amount of chemicals and toxins in our lives. In addition to our foods, this also means our household cleaners, our toiletries, and our makeup and beauty products. With the Beauty Detox principals in mind, I developed Solluna, a natural, plant-based product line and I’m so excited to share it with you!
Solluna has a skincare product for everyone’s needs:
- Feel Good ASC2P Vitamin C Serum – This serum has 10x more active vitamin C than other brands. The super vitamin-rich formula also has Hyaluronic Acid, Licorice Root and anti-inflammatory natural hydrosols offering anti-aging and curative benefits.
- Feel Good Cleanser – My cleanser is PH balanced with an antioxidant-rich formula to soothe and calm inflammation while hydrating skin.
- Feel Good Eye Cream – This formula rich in vitamins and minerals helps firm and smooth the skin while improving the skin’s elasticity and moisture. A potent blend of botanicals and antioxidants helps to soften fine lines, and brightens and protects the delicate skin under the eyes.
- Feel Good Moisturizer – This amazing product has plant-based stem cells that repair skin damage and prevent oxidative damage. It also contains organic hydrosols and boltanicals to moisturize and product against free radicals.
Anti Aging Ritual #3 – Exercise
Last but not least, this final ritual supports each of these goals. Not only does daily exercise boost our youthful energy and glow, it also relieves stress by triggering the release of happy chemicals to our brain called endorphins. And of course, exercise opens the door for weight loss! The best part is, we don’t need a gym membership of fancy equipment to benefit from exercise. Here’s what I do!
- Take a Walk – One of my favorite things to do (period) is walk along the beach. There’s so much positive energy and beauty in nature, and I often lose all track of time when I’m there. The next thing I know I’m running and playing with my kid, sweating and having fun. But if nature is not an option, simply get off of the bus one stop sooner, or walk the stairs instead of taking the elevator.
- Practice Yoga – Yoga is my passion. Along with being an author and a nutrition specialist, I’m also a certified yoga instructor. It makes me happy and it keeps me grounded. It incorporates deep breathing with muscle strengthening that enlighten the mind and tone the body. My Beauty Detox Power Yoga Series a great place to start (from your very own home)!
Small steps turn into big leaps! Before you know it, that 15 minute walk will turn into two a day. Our brains crave endorphins because they make us happy. And the more we increase our daily physical activity, the happier and healthier we become.
Alright, Beauties! You’ve got this. You don’t need New Year’s resolutions! These rituals are the foundation for a happy new year filled with peace, empowerment and growth. I hope they bless you weight loss, reduced stress and youthful beauty.
References: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/ritual  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741046  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S089158490600801X  http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v35/n5/full/ijo2010171a.html  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ujjayi_breath  https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550611416675  https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/pdfs/GratitudePDFs/2Wood-GratitudeWell-BeingReview.pdf